Quotes to quibble over:

People that don't know me think I'm shy. People that do know me wish I was...

Friday, December 17, 2010

Closure

This blog is a continuation of my previous one ("All Quiet on the Western Front") so you might want to read that one first if you haven't already.

So, before you think I'm too balanced, let me tell you about my caper two nights ago.  It was the night of the Victorian Christmas (see Leilani's blog) and we were heading over there in the RV.  When I left you last (my first blog) we were Suburban-less and left to drive the RV everywhere we went.  SO, we were driving the RV.  As we were in traffic it seemed the perfect time to... uh, organize the clothes closet in the hall.  What I was thinking I have no idea - well, obviously, I wasn't thinking.

As you're probably guessing already, Shammah had to hit his brakes unexpectedly and a series of rather unfortunate events took place.

First, I began a (to me) slow-motioned ascent forward toward the front of the RV, trying to grab something to hold on to as I went.  As I passed the kitchen area, Shammah had to brake even more abruptly at which time I began my fast-motioned descent to the floor - face first.  It all happened so fast, so suddenly, that the kids were quite startled.  There lie Mom.  Her face embedded in the carpet.

As I lay there, my brain (aren't brains amazing?! There must have been tons of who knows what kind of chemicals dumped into my bloodstream in that moment causing all kinds of chain reactions and yet my brain took the time to quickly but calmly assess its surroundings and come up with some fairly coherent MOOs -modes of operation- as you will see...no jokes on the "moos")

As I lay there, I registered a corporate intake of breath originating from all four children as they sat there wide-eyed, gawking at their mother.  (I know this because I have eyes in the back of my head - in case you were wondering how I saw them with my face embedded in the carpet.)

Seriously,  I heard their intake of breath and registered the stunned silence and my Motherly Martyr persona kicked in and avouched (rather bravely, I thought), "I'm OK!"  "Really, I'm OK!"  "Don't worry.  I'm fine."  I must have said this reassurance four or five different ways in varying degrees of volume.  I'm not sure who I was trying to convince more - me or the kids.

I peeled myself off the floor and crumpled onto the couch (where I should have been in the first place) and tried to remain quiet as a whole new set of events registered in my brain. The Pain Protagonists had arrived in this unfolding saga and were playing their part rather zealously.  I was one hurtin' puppy.  Mostly in my left knee.

I agonized there on the couch as quietly as I could and waited for my knights in shining armor to arrive -- the Endorphins.  But alas, my knights, like the rest of me - except the Pain Pushers - must be getting old because they SURE TOOK A LONG TIME TO GET THERE!!!

Finally they did arrive and I was able to slip into blissful oblivion for a short while.  (For my younger readers - Endorphins are these really great little guys that your brain sends out when you get hurt.  They block the registering of pain so it doesn't hurt as much.  Unfortunately they don't stick around for very long.)

My knee did swell (swell as in puffed out the size of a small orange - not swell as in terrific) but not as bad as I expected.  Ice, Rescue, and Ibuprofen tended to the repairs.  We ended up parking the RV back where we're staying (parking would have been a problem where we were heading) and so my family climbed into various vans while I stayed at home with the RV.  I'd had quite an adventure of my own already.

It's two days later and while my knee is stiff, I'm walking on it just fine.  I sure learned a lesson.  I will never let people walk around in the RV while it's in motion if I can help it.  For one brief moment I thought I was going to go thru the front windshield.  Fortunately I took a dive downward instead.  Sometimes I just have to learn things the hard way.  (Sometimes?!)

As for the Suburban - it was indeed a transmission problem.  It's been fixed and is now happily back home with us.  We're not as happy as we were as that was a costly repair but hey, why take away from someone else's happiness?  (Are you following all of this?!)

The only thing left to finish fixing is the window on the RV -- sigh -- well, the awning is no longer attached either...I guess I'll save that for another rainy day...

Love you all!  Thanks for reading!



5 comments:

  1. While you were telling the story , I starting laughing, then out of the blue It started registering in me wondering you were gonna be hurting. I do indeed love the way you write. I am glad you can still walk and hope it recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitra - GO AHEAD AND LAUGH! We most certainly did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wasn't laughing until you got to the part about not taking away from someone else's happiness. :) i got it... and we'll pray for your knee <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, You are hillarious! Your poor knee. Thanks for the blogs! Can't wait to hear more about ya'll's (wow. on the ya'll's. May be I should try yous guys'?) meetings! Sounds like fun:)Hat's off to the brave pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to post a comment sooner...but didn't want a knee-jerk reaction. Sorry, couldn't resist my friend. That was a great story. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete